An independent student is an important designation for Federal Student aid based on the US Department of Education requirements.
- Are at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the award year
- Are orphaned by both parents or are wards of the court
- Were in foster care or was a ward of the court when they were 13 years or older
- Are veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Are serving active duty
- Are a graduate or professional student
- Are married
- Have legal dependents other than a spouse
- Are an emancipated minor or have a legal guardianship
- Are a homeless youth
As a independent student, students do not include parent information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).